Wednesday 23 May 2018

Gap year

After my marks had been awarded for my B.Sc. I asked the head of the department if I could apply to do a Masters degree. Unfortunately failing my biochemistry in the second year meant that my class of degree was reduced from the 2(i) I obtained to a 2(ii). At this time I was told that a 2(i) was a minimum requirement to do an M.Sc. This resulted in me having to leave university life and enter into the wide world for the first time.
I was shortly afterwards awarded £8,700 for the road accident I had just before my final year at university started. I went to the benefits office who confirmed that I had too much money to be able to sign on and claim benefits. I appealed and went to a tribunal. At the tribunal I was not very articulate and tried to explain that if I lived off the compensation I would be no better off and it would not be compensation. Their reply was 'we just hope you can get a job'. The compensation included fitness being impaired from having my left leg reattached at the knee which meant that I would be excluded from applying to any of the services resulting in less opportunities for a career.
I went to the bank and told them that I had this money and asked them if I could get a mortgage. The banks reply was that I must have held down a job for a year to qualify for a mortgage and unfortunately I had just finished university.
I went out and bought a motorbike, a V reg Honda 400/4 for £550 and got a job dispatch riding.
To forget about my rejection and to avoid thinking about my bank balance decreasing I spent quite a bit of time going to friends places on my motorbike taking cannabis weed from an inner city area and on one occasion a bottle of Smirnoff blue label. The weed and blue label vodka I took to a friend who I knew from university and who was writing and installing databases for a political party to keep track of who to canvass at election times. We would drink and smoke until the early hours of the morning chatting and listening to BBC radio 2. I am still not sure but I think this activity and being aware this kind of information about a political party attracted some attention to what I was doing. I may have been considered to be snooping or stealing state secrets or possibly industrial espionage.
I had no place of my own as I had some of my bottle of whisky / bourbon stolen from a bedsit and so left making myself homeless. I think also after that I did not want to see my funds diminish by paying rent and so I lived on the road going from acquaintance to acquaintance and sleeping at night on a sofa or a floor. A few times I travelled to near Bridgewater in Somerset and after a few ciders at the local pub I would take my brother in law as a pillion passenger on my bike and would drive late at night to places like Taunton or Glastonbury to find cannabis. After that was a drive back followed by a smoke with my brother in law and sister in a country farmhouse. It was an innocent time but again attracted adverse attention for which I am still making amends to my family. Even now I still think driving at night on a motorbike with a companion down country roads and scoring seemed like a good form of detachment. About this time I had a girlfriend who always wanted to keep track of me and I think resented that I was not under her thumb. She even bought a small motorbike and took to driving to my friends' places to see where I was. I think she was of the great mother archetype and was always trying to get me to be something different which almost destroyed my personality. Auto suggestion was to try and escape while she wanted control which weighed against my defences resulting in anxiety. I met her by going to visit a house where some friends were still at university. I drove their hoping to provide a smoke and a catch up and met the girlfriend while she was talking to them. She then offered me a meal. Not being assertive and frightened to say no from fear of rejection, I got involved. All I can say is 'there is no thing such as a free lunch'. I started to drink more and take more drugs to escape the feeling of a sordid life in a little room on a back street in Bristol. I felt I had reached an all time low and to add to this inner city areas sold me things such as possibly oregano in a wrap to look like weed or possibly Harpic cleaner to pass as speed (amphetamine).
I decided to apply again to do a masters degree, this time in Information Technology at Aston university in Birmingham, they let me in with a 2(ii) degree. Little did I know I was going out of the frying pan into the fire.
While dispatch riding I was knocked off of my 400/4 and as I did not want to lose time in work I went out and bought a Honda CB750 which was the first super bike model in the country. Shortly after the gearbox broke. I got another lay shaft from a bike breakers and took my bike by train to Bridgewater where at my sister's and brother in law's residence I rebuilt the gearbox. Later I also put new tyres on it.
When I went to a friends place to do LSD and listen to choral music during the night, someone was waiting for me outside when I left. He asked if I would swap my bike for his. His bike was in a dreadful state with a dent in the tank, cheap tyres of which one was slashed and it was only a 550cc bike in a 500cc frame. As I was still coming down from the LSD and also because I lacked assertiveness, I agreed. Shortly after someone came by and took the air filters from the 550c bike.  I was so disgusted with myself that I took the CB 400/4 I rebuilt after the dispatch riding accident and did a visit to the Bristol Royal Infirmary cocktail party for medics and nurses, and then went to a pub. As I left the pub I saw a police car and as I had been drinking I was over zealous in getting away and pulled a wheely closely followed by the police.
I resisted arrest and was later pulled out of the panda car at the police station. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I now had to lose my licence and I started my course in Birmingham in a few days.     

No comments:

Post a Comment